Wednesday, September 4, 2013

MADE Pants

In my Fourth of July post I made my kids some shorts using Dana's KID Shorts pattern. Wonderful pattern, and great shorts!


I have made pants for the kids using her Dana's KID Pants pattern, but my son was outgrowing its size, it's only a 4T pattern. Her shorts pattern has more range. Well, I figured I could take the shorts pattern and extend the legs and make them pants. So I gave it a try.

I had this cute, very boyish robot fabric and I wasn't sure what to do with it. Now, I had a project! I would make my son some pajama pants.

Pajamas bottoms are a great way to try out something new because no one will really ever see them because you wear them to bed. Perfect!



The shorts pattern turned out decent enough for pajama pants. So cute! It needed some tweaking though. The legs ended up wider than I wanted so I adjusted my pattern for the next go round.

My son was with me when I was shopping at Wal-Mart (the one that actually has fabric). He will sometimes look for fabric and want me to make him something. He picked out this fabric and I had no idea what he wanted me to with it. So, I told him I would make him some pants.

The fabric had a very seventies, bell bottom feel to it. And I knew he would look adorable in something along those lines. I didn't want to go overboard though, lest he be teased at school. I took the fabric and cut out his pants.

I used the flat front option of the pattern, added hidden front pockets, and added back pockets.

 Up next, a photo shoot!
He loves the front pockets. I used some soft, blue flannel that matched the denim color. He thinks that the back pockets look like shields, and they totally do, which is absolutely cool in his mind. I love it when he gets excited about something I have made for him.

The pants are the perfect length for my long-legged boy who grows up more than he does out. I think the result turned out pretty good. The legs are still a little baggier than I would like, but for this fabric and look, it's a good fit.

I am looking forward to other projects that I can use the shorts pattern for, just need to get my space 100% completed. (But it is coming along. I haven't posted an update in a while, hopefully soon, when more gets done. So excited!)


No comments:

Post a Comment