Friday, August 15, 2014

The Ugly Side of Parenting

It's been rough being a parent, and a kid, in my house this week. You would think as children get older and can be more helpful that the days would go a little bit smoother. If this week is any indication, it's just not going to happen. 

By the time kids reach the age of 6 they know what they are supposed to do and not supposed to do. They can follow directions, listen, read, write, and be helpful around the house. Parenting should be more enjoyable with a 6 year old and a 4 year old...right? Things should be getting easier? We should officially be out of the terrible two's that start at 18 months and continue till sometime after the age of 4? 

Parenting...it's getting the best of me today and I am not liking it at all. The boy is not liking it either. We are not having much fun together and it is breaking my heart. And I just don't know what to do about it. It's uncharted territory for me. I'd like to think that I was a good listener at that age; followed directions, got things done, very little pushback. Oh, the pushback. The laziness. The not listening. The not being responsible for something simple like putting toothpaste on your toothbrush without large amounts of toothpaste ending up in the sink. Seriously, why is there a weeks worth of toothpaste in the sink? How does that even happen?

Parenting. It's not going well. It sucks right now. It makes me sad. All the fussing I am doing. I don't like that. Some of it is needed, I know. Otherwise kids will never learn when and why it is appropriate to listen to someone in charge and act accordingly.

School starts on Monday and it is likely that I won't be there to see him celebrate the first day like I did when he started Kindergarten. 

I know. It's first world problems and I shouldn't be so unhappy. But it's important to me.
The little things add up. 
I haven't been feeling well lately. The 6 year old thinks I am making it up. :/ 
Getting adequate sleep has been a struggle.
I'm tired.
The house is a mess.
The kids are unhappy.
I'm unhappy.
The dog is sick.
My work schedule is making it difficult to ensure that I see my son walk to his class on the first day. 
The boy refuses to finish his summer work, clean his room, or do something the first time it is told.
The kids have been arguing, fighting, crying, and melting down.

Being responsible. It's necessary. I feel like I am pulling my kid along in this endeavor kicking and screaming. Well, someone is kicking someone, and the other is screaming, but you get the picture. It's hard. And I know, it could always be worse. Someone else on the planet has it worse than I do. But I am still not happy with my situation today and I sincerely hope that it improves. We could all use a little happiness in our lives today.

No comments:

Post a Comment