Here's a short, quick version of what I did.
Fabric: Flannel, two colors of ribbing, two colors of twill. I wasn't sure which color of ribbing I wanted to use for the jacket so I bought both colors that matched the twill. All fabric came from JoAnn's.
Love the flannel!
I cut out my pieces after hacking the pattern and adding seam allowances for the color blocking. Then, I sewed the pieces together.
Ready to assemble the outer jacket and the flannel lining.
Welt pockets for the front.
Attaching the two pieces together and preparing for the ribbing.
*sigh* My struggle-y section.
But I persevered and the result is actually not that bad.
My boy said he loved his jacket when I first showed it to him during one of his not-staying-in-bed moments. I used that moment to have him try on the jacket to see how it fit. He is growing in to a size 6 so I made the jacket using the size 7 pattern. Depending on how quickly he grows, he should be able to wear it again next year and it will fit him even better.
Grading on my part---
Kid Approval rating: A+++
I had gone searching for help with the part I was having an issue with. I think I sent about three requests. To my complete surprise I actually got an email back from Andrea Pannell who created this pattern! I didn't even send her a request for help, but she sent me an email response first. I was amazed. Everyone offered words of encouragement and compliments as well. Thanks, ladies!
Sending a thank you to:
Things I learned with this project:
--I can now make Study Hall Jackets for my kids
--I know how to use ribbing in projects (sort of, minus that tricky part)
--I know how to sew welt pockets; those were a first as well
--Hand sewing can be therapeutic (must get back to cross stitching at some point)
--Don't let the tricky parts define to outcome of the finished product
And there you have it. Have a great day!