Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My New Fave: Peasant Dresses

I had been wanting to try my hand (sewing hand) at making peasant dresses. The ones I have been seeing on Pinterest are so darn cute!

They looked fairly simple to make, I just needed a pattern and tutorial. I'm sure there are several out there, but this is the one I used: Peasant dress from Jamie at Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom. It's a free (woohoo!) pattern that you can print out from the link in her tutorial. The pattern comes in three sizes: 12-18 months, 2T/3T, and 4-7. Just choose your size from the links she provides, print them out, cut them out, and you are ready to get started.

For my girl I used the 4-7 pattern. She wears a 3T and will be moving into the 4T size by next spring/summer, and since I like things to grow with my kids I used the bigger size.




















So far I have made her three peasant dresses. I tried the pattern out using the big polka dot fabric. This fabric is from Wal-Mart (Large dots aqua). I had extra of it so if I didn't like how it turned out, I wasn't going to be terribly upset that I had ruined nicer fabric.

No worries, because I loved how it turned out. I love the dots! My girl, not so much. They're not pink.

Well, that is an easy fix. I picked up some pink chevron print fabric (Studio 8), and the pink gingham apples fabric (Timeless Treasures: Tutti Frutti), while I was in San Antonio from the Creative Sewing Center. I made her two more dresses.


And then we had a photo session. I am thrilled at how all three of them turned out. She especially loves the pink dresses, and ruffles. Ruffles are just right for twirling.



I had only purchased a half yard of the apple fabric so I added the pink chevron sleeves and ruffle to finish out the dress. My twin picked out the apple fabric and had wanted me to make something using it and the chevrons. Good call, twin!


My son picked out a long sleeve, button up shirt to wear to church. I figured this was as good a chance as any to get him to wear one of the ties (link to A Little Bit Funky blog, tutorial, and free pattern) I made him that coordinated with his sister's attire. That was about the only way I could get her to wear the dress. She wasn't thrilled, but it worked.





















Aww...siblings! They look adorable together. I love it when I sometimes get photos that capture one of them in a more natural state. My girl with her elbows on her knees and hands on her face. Sweet and adorable, she is.

I have more chevron fabric that I want to use for more peasant dresses for the fall. I've been thinking about adding pockets to the dress...long sleeves...or maybe an iron-on applique...hmm.

Oh, the girl also wants a tie to wear with her dress, so I will be working on something like that for her as well.

The creative wheels are a-turning!

Have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. Too cute! This is next on my to-do list. Learning how to make dresses for little girls! I may be asking questions!

    ReplyDelete