Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Popsicle and Some Memories: First Field Day

My boy participated in his first school field day. I think I was looking forward to it more than he was. He had been sick prior to field day so I was hoping he would be well enough to participate. His temperature was closer to normal, 98.9, and he was back to regularly picking on/teasing his sister, and therefore well enough to go to school.

I loved field day when I was in school. Playing some games, competing with/against your friends, some teamwork, working hard and trying your best. And if you did well enough you got a colorful place ribbon. Ahh, so much fun!

So imagine my mild shock when the games started and realized everything was a team/whole class effort. Wha..? 

E.V.E.R.Y game involved the whole class... 

and they only played like 7 games... (I remember so many different activities)
and took breaks... (yes, it was warm, but really?)
and got a popsicle...(I never got a popsicle on field day)
and nobody got ribbons. :(

I know, it's all for fun, and we don't want anyone to feel left out, and we don't want kids to get any hurt feelings, blah, blah, blah.
Where was the spirit of competition and sportsmanship? Of trying your best even if you don't win? Never give up, never surrender! (name that movie) We'll get 'em next year. Yeah, none of that happened.

Anyway.

We had a good time and enjoyed this new experience. It was fun to see the kids play their games. I took some photos of course.

Egg and spoon balance race: even the teachers joined in.



40 yard dash and noodle partner race:



Popsicle break. Then, the human chain race:

Hippity hop race:

Pop the balloon race:

and a fill the bucket race.  


The photos of the kids on the blue hoppers were so funny! Some kids had the funniest expressions when they would bounce. Loved it!

When I was telling my husband about field day and how different it was from when we were kids in school, he said something that shocked me. 
"Ugh, I hated field day in school." 
*gasp* 
Did I just hear him correctly? Why would anyone not like field day? I've never met anybody who hated field day. What is wrong with him? 
And then the realization of why he said that came to light. "Because it involved some (minimal) athleticism and physical activity...?", I said. And he agreed! And it was academic related. Nerd. :)  He also doesn't like sports so it makes sense...I guess.

After over 8 years of marriage and almost two decades...is that right?..two decades!...doing the math...yep...since we first met in high school, you learn something new about a person.

Are there other people out there who disliked field day?

No comments:

Post a Comment