Friday, June 8, 2012

Route 66: Bag, hat, shorts



(Get Your Kicks on) Route 66

If you ever plan to motor west,
Travel my way, take the highway that is best.
Get your kicks on route sixty-six.

It winds from chicago to la,
More than two thousand miles all the way.
Get your kicks on route sixty-six.

Now you go through saint looey
Joplin, missouri,
And oklahoma city is mighty pretty.
You see amarillo,
Gallup, new mexico,
Flagstaff, arizona.
Don't forget winona,
Kingman, barstow, san bernandino.

Won't you get hip to this timely tip:
When you make that california trip
Get your kicks on route sixty-six. ...


-Nat King Cole (written by Bobby Troup)


I had seen this Route 66 (2002 Alexander Henry) fabric a few places online and at Joann's. I didn't know what to make with it until I got the book Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children by Leisl Gibson and found a pattern for a messenger bag. Fabric, idea, and a pattern equals a project.


A bag that can be used for traveling that is about traveling. Genius! And perfect for my nephew who now lives in Texas and close to Route 66. The blue one is his.





I couldn't stop at just a bag. Or two. If you are traveling then you need a hat. So I made a hat. I have found a pattern (several actually) for a newsboy hat. The Gatsby Hat pattern is what I used for this particular hat. Pinterest has helped me find inspiration for tons of projects.


If you have a bag and a hat, then obviously you need some shorts. I made some Racer Shorts using Dana's tutorial and pattern. She's awesome!



Everything is set for an adventure. Combine all three peices and you've got yourself one handsome boy ready to travel!





2 comments: